Saturday, January 10, 2009

If I Were an American Automaker Part 2

Strategic approach

  1. Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are attractive options, but not necessarily the best. I will probably not focus too much attention at M&A unless they have a unique operating model, which caters well to the local or surrounding economies.
  2. I am not sure how the American legal system works exactly, but the way a person is compensated for spilling coffee on herself does not make much sense. And seeing how my ex-American colleagues work before, shows way too many unnecessary bureaucracies in the decision making process. I would work like a local in countries I operate in.


Product concentration

  1. I will not forego the American market completely, but instead I will definitely be looking at one or two models of light truck/ SUV which crosses between economic and mid-end luxury- which is well built, well design, well trimmed. It has got to push the benchmark of value for money.
  2. I will look at pushing out a couple of right and left hand drives salon models for US, EU and Asia- and made in US, EU or Asia. The American makes still appeal, especially at a time when car owners want to be differentiated. The absence in Asia is actually a bonus factor. But it has got to present itself as a good value for money option again, perhaps a slight premium but nothing more. It also has to push limits, with a change in American built quality.
  3. I will create ONE good luxury model that caters well to the global luxury market. One car that pushes limits of all luxury limits in the 7 series and S class league. One make that says the American car maker will surpass the Mercedes Benz and BMW of this world. I would not go into the Bentley and Rolls Royce category, because it takes history and heritage to be there and US makers I doubt is there yet.
  4. The Americans are great marketers and if these couple of models can be built right for once, and position well in the minds of people during these tough times, will carry them a long way.


Technological edge

  1. I will for once convince myself and the staff members that we need to go out and be technologically on par in this game. I may not be the one with the knowledge, but I will not be snobbish. I will speak to the Germans and the Japanese, and hammer some cooperation in the green car, electric car, and clean fuel arena. If it means opening up my sales channel and network, so be it. I rather be in the game then out.
  2. I will look at the teenager- the high school going group, the college going group who past this economic gloom would have worked for a couple of years and ready to spent his money on his first car. It may be a car that is wired, with a printer and mobile devised in-built. It may be a car that transcend home and travel in a simplistic “uncaravan” way. Or it may simply be a car that is totally driver free, to enable him/ her luxury to read and work while on the move. Better still, it may be a car that is “green”, high speed wired, and hands free.


Parting words
What is said could be gibberish, but it may for once mean something to the top echelons spending 50% answering to shareholders, and making reports- which from history again, show that it does not help.

This is article 2 by Ler Hwee Tiong, Managing Director at Tyrepac Pte Ltd in his 2 part-series on what he would do if he was the US Automaker.

No comments: