Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Journey into Tyres

Having freshly graduated from university with a degree in sociology, I had no clue as to what my future held. Like many of my other peers, I felt lost in what type of career I wanted to venture into. Finally, an opportunity came along and I grabbed it. In a blink of an eye, I’m in an industry that I never imagined myself to be in - the industry that friends looked at me in doubt when I told them about it.

They never imagined someone studying sociology to be doing something so differentBefore stepping into the tyre industry, what tyres meant to me were something black, rubbery and part of the car. Just like many people, I often just notice the car, but not its tyres. People often take for granted the tedious processes by which the tyre was designed and created. I must admit that I am one of them as well.

As I embarked on a journey to understand tyres, the technical details about tyres did leave me slightly overwhelmed. But quoting from my boss, Ler, “see tyres as just another product”, I began to understand that though tyres may involve many complex processes in its construction, they are actually just another product. Be it selling shoes or tyres, they are actually similar in many ways.

With an ever-increasing internet population, consumers are now data-savvy and often do research on products prior to their purchases. Tyrepac would be able to serve as a platform to educate the consumers on tyres which many of the traditional tyre shops would not be able to do. Being a website that is comprehensive, convenient, price transparent and educational, I do believe that this online tyre business has the potential to grow. As for me, I am glad that I am part of this family to witness its growth and as well as to grow with it.

This is an introduction by Seow Sian as she makes her way into an industry not many dare to tread on.

No comments: